Monday, August 23, 2010

A Day in Paris

I managed to squeeze in a wonderful day in Paris on my travels.  We started out from the superbly renovated St Pancreas station in London which is part magnificent architecture and part poetry.  Poet  John Betjeman who is credited with stopping the destruction of the station in the 1960's looks up at the magnificent blue ceiling surrounded by his words.


















Three hours later, my sister and I were happily wandering the streets of a very rainy Paris.  Our day in pictures: umbrellas in Place du Louvre; some posters I loved in a window; a graffiti homage to Serge Gainsbourg who lived on Rue de Verneuil (I was lucky enough to live on the other end of this road for a couple of years).  An essential cup of French espresso; Neptune overlooking Pont Neuf; beautiful symmetry and contrast between the fabulous Pompidou Center and a storefront in the Marais; Kir Royal in Place des Vosges. . . all in the pouring rain!  Superbe!

No comments: