Sunday, August 22, 2010

Childhood Fantasy Worlds

I always find it interesting how childhood experiences still inform my thoughts and dreams.   My trip to England last week brought back memories of a couple of beloved childhood books.

I have never been able to see a door in a wall and not think of The Secret Garden and the hidden worlds on the other side of those walls.  I took these pictures in the tiny town of Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight.  How I would have loved to peek through the keyholes to the gardens beyond!


















A few days later I found myself taking pictures of trees in the New Forest and thinking of Pookie, the inspiring rabbit with wings that is so beautifully illustrated by Ivy Wallace.  I am sure Pookie wandered valiantly through this forest.   I love the lines of the trunks accented by the texture and color of moss.  Completely unintentionally the pictures below match:)

1 comment:

Lana {lanalou style} said...

Looks like an amazing trip, I've always loved those rabbit illustrations! And 'The Secret Garden', well that would be just be the ultimate place to discover!